No products in the cart.
- 250 gm Dabli boot
- 1 tbsp Chopped onion
- 1/2 tsp Garlic paste
- 1/2 tsp Ginger paste
- 1/2 tsp Turmeric powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp Cumin powder
- 2 tbsp Vegetable/soybean oil
- 1/2 tsp Cinnamon powder
- To taste Salt
- 1/2 tsp Cardamom powder
- As per requirement Water
- 1 pc Potato (medium sized, optional)
- 6-7 pcs Sliced green chilies
- Wash dabli boot and soak in water for minimum 4 hours. You can soak it overnight if you have time. Then wash again and drain well.
- Heat 2 tbsp vegetable/soybean oil in a pressure cooker. You can use a pan instead. But pressure cooker takes less time to cook properly. Then add onion & sliced chilies and stir for a while. Now add ginger & garlic pastes and salt. Add small amount of water to avoid burning of spices afterwards. Add cumin powder, turmeric powder (optional), cinnamon & cardamom powders and keep stirring till brown.
- Now add dabli boot with a whole medium sized peeled potato (optional) and keep stirring for 2-3 minutes to mix them well with the spices. Add water. The amount of water depends on your consistency requirement. Cover with the lid and cook till 6-8 whistles on medium heat. The gram shouldn’t be over boiled.
- While cooking dabli boot, let’s make that secret special chotpoti spices mix! Roast and finely grind 4 pcs dried red chilies, 1 tsp Panch foron (special five spices mix), 4 pcs cloves, 1/2 tsp black pepper, 1 pc cinnamon, 3 pcs cardamoms, 1 tsp mustard, 1 tsp cumin & 3 tsp coriander. We are going to use small amount, you can store the rest in airtight container for 3-4 months easily without sunlight.
- Now time to serve, here the amount of ingredients depends on your choice and taste. Pour the cooked dabli boot and potato in a bowl, mash the potato partially using a fork and mix. Add tamarind water (Tamarind was soaked in water for 30 mins, squeezed to remove the puree and strained) and mix well. Sprinkle 1 tsp pre-made special spices mix. Now add chopped cucumber, tomato, coriander leaves, green chili, onion, crackers (nimki/fuchka), grated boiled eggs (optional), another 1/2 tsp special spices mix and black salt according to your choice and taste.
- ……… Your Chotpoti is ready to be served. You can also squeeze a fresh lemon and mix everything before serve. It will add extra taste and flavor for sure!